Interning at IZEA
IZEA allows students in the fields of the humanities or cultural studies, who at the same time have reached the higher semesters of their respective programs, to gain access to the inner workings of an academic institution within the framework of a multi-week internship. Here they will get acquainted with the many careers within an academic institution of the humanities. They will also gain hands-on experience in the field. Note: Internships are for advanced university students only! There are neither internship opportunities for High-school students nor for graduating High-school seniors.
We offer internships in the areas of science, public relations and academic editing. Each intern will also be given the chance to go out on his own to advance his own research project in the field of enlightenment studies (we strongly support research done for a Bachelor- or Master thesis). Our academic staff will assist these interning students during the process.
Prerequisites and other things you should know
Students will intern for the duration of 6 weeks, working 5 days a week. Interns will retain the option to work parallel to their semester with a reduced amount of hours per week which, however, will stretch the duration of the internship. That way the duration would be 3 months, working 2 days per week. At the beginning of the internship students will be assigned a mentor who will be nominated by the current Managing Director. Unfortunately IZEA can not pay its interns.
It is absolutely necessary for interns to be registered as students at a university for the entirety of the internship. We can not insure our interns and therefore expect them to be properly insured at the start of their internship (personal and liability insurance). By law interns are obligated to posses and show their social security card at the start of their internship.
Interns are selected by IZEA's Managing Director. Students are by no means entitled to a spot in the program. A student's admittance can be recalled any time if given sufficient reason. All rights to written or other work completed within the program are reserved by IZEA and are not transferable.
Interns will receive a formal certificate of completion at the end of their time. Interns are obligated to hand in a brief report of their internship.
By accepting the position of an intern at IZEA interns are obligated
- to use their time at IZEA for the intended purposes and to strictly focus on their work
- to communicate all maters relevant to the execution of their internship to the managing personal
- to notify the Managing Director at least once at the start and termination of their internship
- to adhere to the general rules of the institution and its library
- to regularly attend the institution's scholarly events
Applications for an internship ought to be directed towards IZEA's Managing Director and would have to entail each of the following items
- program of study and times of study (number of semesters, university)
- recommendation by at least one Professor
- intended purpose
- a brief statement answering if the internship is part of the applicant's program of study.
We also ask you to include
- your CV
- a recent portrait
- a copy of your transcript(s)
Before you can begin your internship you may also show
- a document verifying your current enrollment at a University
- your social security card
Please direct your application electronically (PDF-document) to IZEA's Managing Director:
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für die Erforschung der Europäischen Aufklärung
Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Décultot
Franckeplatz 1, Haus 54